Tuesday, February 19, 2008

reviewing the classics - o.p.i.'s lincoln park after dark


I love to have my nails painted and color doesn't scare me. I also love to get manis and pedis, but there isn't always the budget or the time to get them as often as I would like.



As a result, I have become fairly good at doing them myself, and I have accumulated a pretty diverse collection of colors over the years. My latest purchase was O.P.I.'s Lincoln Park After Dark.


Let me just get this out of the way and say that I have a really fair complexion, so I can pull off most colors, but the more extreme usually end up as a "good toe color".



Anywho...back to Lincoln Park After Dark...


I ended up with a couple of hours to myself last Sunday and I thought I'd give this color a whirl. I had seen it before and wanted to try one of O.P.I.'s more classic dark colors. I did not use a base coat, just two coats of the polish with a top coat of Essie's 3-Way Glaze (excellent stuff by the way).



When I was done, it ended up a deep, deep burgandy color, that I would not recommend on long nails (might be a little too much-I had trimmed mine down to just past my fingertips before I started). I have used dark colors before, but this was by far the darkest color I have ever had on.



Anyone who uses color on their nails, knows that around day three or day four, you'll need to remove your polish and start over. Normal day-to-day activities are generally murder on a manicure. This wasn't the case for this polish. By day four, it was still going strong with only the tiniest chip on one nail. Keep in mind that I have a two year old...so this is four days of car seats, strollers, playing, dishes, cleaning, cooking, etc...all of those fun activities a stay-at-home-mom confronts on a daily basis. Let's just say that it was still going strong after one week...that's a record in my book.



If you have a little free time, head on over to www.opi.com. I went on to see what they said about this color and I actuallly ended up spending a good 10-15 minutes on there. They have a fun section called Try It On Salon where you pick out your skin color, so you can see what each color would look like on you. I don't know how much longer I can keep pulling off the dark color, since they are saying light pastel colors are in for Spring...but I would definitely recommend this color.


Christine
photo courtesy of amazon.com

2 Comments:

Mischo Beauty said...

Great post! "Lincoln Park After Dark" is a cult favorite! A definite must-have! I think I wore it all fall and most of the winter...

Anonymous said...

I love how that colour looks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails