Saturday, March 8, 2008

matrix amplify shampoo and conditioner

As I have mentioned before, I have been blessed with stick straight, fine, blonde hair, that completely lacks any sort of volume or thickness. I only recently started highlighting for a little extra oomph.

For the last 6 or 7 years, I have been on a never-ending search for a good shampoo and conditioner. I have searched for combos that will add volume, without making it volumized by causing static...or a shampoo and conditioner that says it's for fine/thin hair, but end up weighing your hair down so much you look like you haven't showered in weeks. In my search I have tried everything from Pantene to Herbal Essence to Aveda to Paul Mitchell. I do have a limit on how much I'm willing to spend, but I also realize how important a good hair day is to me.

About a year ago, I started going to a new hairstylist and I thought I would see what sort of shampoo and conditioner she would recommend...since the salon wasn't run by any one specific haircare company. The salon carried just about every shampoo you could think of. She mentioned a couple that she used, but were now discontinued - good info, but not very helpful. She then said I should try Matrix Amplify Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner. I then asked if I should be more concerned about color (highlights) or volume and she said to focus on the volume.

The shampoo claims to have a "thickening formula" that generates volume. Which sounds perfect for me since I have a lot of hair for being blonde, but I am nowhere near having thick hair. They also have Matrix Amplify Color XL Shampoo and Conditioner which is the same shampoo but also has an UV filter for color protection-I haven't tried this version yet.
The regular Matrix Amplify works really well - all winter, I have had very few static hair days. It also works well in humidity - even Florida humidity. The conditioner is great too. It can be used daily, without risk of weighing your hair down or adding build up.

I think I paid somewhere around $20 for both - they had the shampoo and conditioner bundled together. Soon after I started using it, I found it in Target's fancy shampoo aisle for $12 for a 13.5 oz. bottle. I recently ran out of the shampoo and could not for the life of me find it anywhere. I ended up finding the big 33 oz. bottle for $21 at Ulta. I had my husband with me that day, who quickly did the math, and said buying the bigger bottle was the better deal because you get 3 regular sized bottles for the price of 2. He comes in handy every once in a while. I have seen this shampoo in just about every salon - even Amazon sells it, and at a really good price - $9.95.

photo courtesy of


Related Posts with Thumbnails