Friday, March 21, 2008

search for the ultimate hand creme: burt's bees almond milk beeswax hand creme

For this week's hand creme, I decided to go with a natural one...Burt's Bee's Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme($8).

The great thing about the Burt's Bees product line, is that they are widely accessible. I picked up mine at my local grocery store.

The other great thing is that they, of course, use only natural ingredients. This one boasts sweet almond oil, beeswax, aloe, and vitamin E, just to name a few.

Before writing this review, I tried the product for about a week....more on this later. I also checked out other reviews on the Total Beauty product reviews page and the MUA boards...just to see what others thought.

On those review pages, I found that people either loved or hated this product, there didn't seem to be any middle ground...until now.

I really didn't like it...but, I didn't hate it either.

Let me explain...

First of all...the scent. It takes a little getting used to. When I saw the words almond milk, I immediately thought of Toasted Almond Bars from Good Humor..I loved those when I was a kid...and I assumed that it would smell like creamy almonds. It did smell like almonds, but it was a little too strong for my liking. I can't really describe the smell, all I can say is that it has a very sharp almond smell. You'll either love this fact or hate it.

Second of all, the's a thick creme. Depending on how much you use, it'll take a while to melt into your skin. I used about two pea sized dabs and it still took a while to sink in. Until it did, my hands felt really greasy. Because of this fact, I started using this only at night. I noticed one person on the Total Beauty product review page, would apply this at night and put gloves on. I did not try this, but it's something you could try. is all natural...and relatively inexpensive at that. I love this about the line. I also love the story behind the brand...they started out selling their homemade lip balm at craft fairs. You also can't deny that Burt's Bees products are all natural, they don't use anything harmful in their ingredients. Their goods are also available almost everywhere and pretty affordable, as far as all-natural products go.

I guess I should stop hemming and hawing and get to the review...

Did this product do a good job of softening my hands?

At did. But after about two hand washings, I would have had to apply the product again. It also didn't do a good job at softening the tips of my fingers...for some reason (maybe my frequent hand washing...I don't know) my fingertips get crazy dry.

Would I use this product again?

Hmmm...because I really can't say either way, the answer is probably no. Because I could only use it at night, I even cheated a little and used my Creme de Corps creme during the day once in a while.

Would I recommend this?

Hmmm...another hard question to answer. On the one hand, as far as all-natural products go, this one is under $10 and contains ingredients that you can pronounce. On the other far as hand cremes go...and I'm comparing hand cremes here people...this is merely an average creme to me. I'll put it this way...if you were my friend, I would tell you to save your money and try one of the other products out there.

Bottom line is this...while I didn't hate this product, I didn't love it either. Because I'm stuck in the middle here...I'd have to say that I wouldn't purchase this product again.

Sorry Burt's Bees.

photo courtesy of


Related Posts with Thumbnails