Tuesday, March 25, 2008

smith's rosebud salve

For years now I have seen Smith's Rosebud Salve in magazine after magazine. It was never a product I felt I had to have, it was more of a product where if I saw it in a store I would probably buy it.

I have found it once in a store before - I think I was in Urban Outfitter's. I didn't buy it then for various reasons and unfortunately, I have never seen it again,

So, when I recently found it in a Books-A-Million, you can imagine my surprise. I didn't even give a second thought to purchasing it. I added it to my big purchase of a coloring book for my son and was actually pretty happy. I was finally to going to find out what all the excitement was about.

Umm...I don't get what all the excitement was about. It's very goopy for lack of a better description and the smell is a little weird. I did notice a pretty shimmer once I put it on, but I just couldn't get past the smell or texture.

I bought the salve to use as a lip balm, so I don't know how it performs as a cracked skin or diaper rash healer, zit zapper or detergent burn fixer-upper (these are listed on the product for different ways to use it, there are even more on the website).

Speaking of the website, if you are one of the many, many people who uses this product, the website gives instructions on how to use the salve to achieve a “pouty look” or a “dewy effect”, tame an unruly brow line and fly-away or frizzy hair, and how to apply it to get a subtle accent to cheek bones, collar bones, shoulders, or any other body part that you want to moisturize or enhance. Visit http://www.smithsrosebudsalve.net/products.html for more information.

If I wasn't so turned off from my first impression of the product, I would probably try it again. Not as a lip balm, but maybe as a base for eyeshadow or something like that. They have some interesting ideas on their website. For now, I'm going to have to pass and see if I can find it a new home on MakeupAlley.


photo courtesy of smithsrosebudsalve.net


Samantha Smikle said...

I just want to say again how much I love love love you guys' topics!

I had the same flightly rel with rosebud. Never bought it...tried it in Urban and didn't understand the hype.

It's thin and would kill chapped lips. Can't beleive they have all the ways to use it. You can do all that and more (like put in on your eyelids before bed to keep away wrinkles) w/ Vaseline!

Jennifer said...

Samantha: It's amazing how far inexpensive products can go. I love vaseline and aquaphor also.
We love your blog her at BiRL! It's amazing. Others should see what you're doing over there at O.M.O On My Own! It's a great blog and one of my must reads!
Love ya girl! : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails