Friday, April 4, 2008

beauty buys under $10 - makeup brush cleanser

There is seriously nothing more disgusting than a dirty makeup brush.

It must be my anal tendencies, because I find myself washing all of my makeup brushes at least once a week.

I had a friend in college, whose house we would get ready in before a Saturday night of club hopping.

This girl was pretty. She was perfect in every way except one...her makeup brushes were nasty.

I mean really, really, nasty.

Not only were they nasty, they were also matted and smushed. I couldn't understand how she was able to use them at all.

I also couldn't understand how she let them get this way. I almost felt sorry for the brushes....they looked so sad.

I really should have staged a makeup brush cleaning intervention, but I don't think she would have responded well to this. I also don't think the brushes would have responded well to this either, they were too far gone.

I can help you out though.

My first suggestion would be to clean your brushes, at least once a week. For this once a week cleaning, I would use a gentle baby shampoo. It's great for the bristles of a makeup brush, and really provides a deep cleaning. I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo ($4.49 at It's cheap and readily available and I always have some on hand to use for Little L's bath nights.

Just do yourself a favor and follow these tips for using the shampoo to clean your babies:

Squeeze a small amount of the shampoo into the palm of your hand and wipe the wet brush in your palm to pick up the shampoo. Gently massage the shampoo through the bristles, then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Make sure you rinse your brushes on an angle, you should try to not get the wooden part of the brush wet. Pat your brush dry with a towel and reshape the bristles. Lay your brush on a counter edge to dry.

That's it. Plain and simple and easy to do.

I do like to use another product in between cleanings, especially if I use one makeup brush with different products.

My favorite in between cleaner is this one from MAC.

It's easy to use and great for getting your brushes clean if you aren't able to do a thorough cleaning.

To use this, you take a couple of tissues and lay them across the palm of your hand. Add a little bit of the cleaner to the tissues. In a sweeping motion, gently glide the brush back and forth across the tissues with the bristle grain until no traces of residue remain. Allow your brush to dry for 1-3 minutes and you're ready to go!

Sephora also makes these great towelettes for cleaning too. These Makeup Brush Cleansing Wipes ($9) are great because they have the cleaner already on them. Just pop them out and use them as you would the MAC cleaner. These are great for traveling.

OK...I think that about does it for now. I'm always on the lookout for more products, so I'm sure I'll be posting about some new cleansers in the future.

For now, you have no excuse. Pick yourself up from this computer, find your brushes and tell them you love don't have to go that far.

Just find your brushes and give them a good deep cleaning..

Believe'll be glad you did.

photos courtesy of,, and


Related Posts with Thumbnails