Monday, April 14, 2008

chanel base lumiere illuminating makeup base


I always thought that the use of a primer was an unnecessary step.

Just something else that the SA would show you, to get you to spend more money.

After all, I already use a good enough moisturizer... why add something else on top of that and then add another layer on top of that too?

Besides...they never do what they say.

Right?

Wrong.

This is Chanel Base Lumiere Illuminating Makeup Base ($40)...and it is fast becoming my favorite product.

When I combine this with my foundation, it provides a gorgeous natural finish that lasts until I take it off.

Seriously...it's that good.

I was checking this out at the Chanel counter in the Neiman Marcus at the Tysons Galleria, when Shamila* (the uber-friendly MUA for the line) sat me down to try it out. She applied it to one side of my face with a foundation brush and let me see the results with a mirror.

Wow.

It wasn't a miraculous transformation, but a subtle difference that surprised me. It was like someone came along, added a slight glow to my skin, and made the small imperfections vanish. Once she added the foundation...I was sold. Because of the primer, she only needed a touch of foundation on top. It smoothed on beautifully and lasted until I took it off that night.

You only need a pea sized amount to cover your face. I'll start with my regular moisturizer and eye cream, let that work it's way in and then add the primer on top with a foundation brush. I apply this all over the face and even under the eyes. Then I add my foundation on top, with a foundation brush as well...especially under the eyes. I finish it all off with blush, a dabbing of my YSL Touche Eclat and I'm done.

A natural perfection that lasts throughout the day.


Jennifer
photo courtesy of neimanmarcus.com

*If you ever find yourself at the Neiman Marcus in Tysons Galleria, do yourself a favor...head over to the Chanel counter and ask for Shamila. She's super sweet and super helpful and she'll load you up with samples. I didn't even mention what I do and she still treated me like I was her most important client...a big plus in my book.

3 Comments:

yummy411 said...

meh heh! i'll have to try this!! i've heard so much about it. can you all compare it to another similar product? does it have the same illuminating finish as MAC's strobe liquid?

Jennifer said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting!

Before buying the Chanel, I had contemplated trying(and heard some good comments about)the primer from Smashbox. I'll have to figure out how to get a hold of some samples of this one because curiousity is getting the better of me.

Christine has been using the primer from Laura Mercier and she's going to be talking about that one soon...I'll have to try hers out and vice versa so we could do a comparison.

I will say that the Chanel primer gives my skin a really natural glowy finish. The primer has a sort of pearlescent finish, along with barely perceptable particles that capture the light. The MAC strobe liquid intrigues me, as I've heard mention of that one before. I'll have to check it out and see what the difference is between the two.

Hmmmmm. Looks like we have a primer expose in the making here!

Do you have a favorite primer?

Dominican Enigma said...

Hi, my favorite primer is by Facetime, it's truly amazing!But, I will definitely look into this. Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails