Saturday, April 26, 2008

eye makeup removers

I bounce between 2 different eye makeup removers. I have really sensitive skin under my eyes. So much so, that almost anything I put in the eye area normally stings quite a bit. My goal has been to find the product that produces the least amount of stinging.

I was solely using Clinique's Take The Day Off Makeup Remover For Lids, Lashes & Lips and then several people recommended Neutrogena's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. I went out and bought it since it was only $4.99 at my local Target.

For the next few weeks I conducted a little experiment (on the nights I remembered I was conducting a little experiment)....I wanted to know what the difference was between the 2, since they almost look identical, and if there was a difference between using a cotton ball versus a cotton square.

So, what I did was wear a different mascara each day and use one remover with a cotton ball, then go through the process again with a cotton square. And then repeat with the other remover. It took a lot of time, especially since I forgot most days which combination of mascara/remover/ball or square I was supposed to be using. I think I ended up trying each combo several times.

OK, onto the results....

Let's discuss Clinique's Take the Day Off. I definitely noticed irritation with using a cotton ball and you all know how much I love my LashBlast mascara and that it requires extra remover so this was a rough combination for me. But with my Clinique mascara it comes off great, but still irritated. Then I switched to using a cotton square, as Jennifer mentioned in one her earlier posts on makeup removers, cotton squares are supposed to be gentler on the delicate eye area (click here to visit her posting). The cotton square did make a difference. There was far less irritation and stinging.

This is what says about their remover: Totally tugless, two-way formula speeds the departure of hard-to-remove eye and lip makeups. Even waterproof mascara. Safe for contact lens wearers. They also mention to hold the cotton ball on the eye for several seconds before wiping downward. I found this did help take more off and required less number of cotton balls especially with the LashBlast.

Now for Neutrogena and their Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover. Regardless of cotton ball or cotton square, I have absolutely no stinging or irritation when I use this product. And that includes all the mascaras I have, even waterproof and the LashBlast. Although, I have noticed that I need to let the cotton ball sit on the eye for a little longer than when I use the Clinique remover. But that is a small price to pay.

Here is what says about their remover: Forget harsh tugging and pulling. This ultra-gentle dual phase formula activates when shaken to remove all eye makeup—even waterproof mascara—without any greasy residue. It is ophthalmologist tested, safe for contact lens wearers and oil free.

I just read both descriptions and they almost say the exact same thing. Explains why they look so similar.

I recommend both makeup removers, just make sure you use cotton squares with the Clinique remover if you are a delicate flower like myself. As I mentioned earlier, Neutrogena's remover is $5 and Clinique's is around $15 depending on where you buy it. If the Neutrogena remover had never been recommended to me, I would have gladly kept on using the Clinique remover. Even now that my little experiment is over I still switch between the 2 depending on which mascara I have on and which bottle I see first.

photos courtesy of and


msnotty said...

I love this post, and thanks for the heads-up on various eye makeup removers! ^_^

Christine said...

Thanks for checking out the blog and leaving a comment! Hope it gave some useful info.

Related Posts with Thumbnails