Friday, May 2, 2008

makeup brushes the final chapter...drugstore finds

Yes, yes, I know.

I promised that I would run this last week...and didn't.

You see, one thing led to another...I ended up doing postings ahead of this one and...well here it is.

A week late.

So here goes...

Let me start off by saying, it's not easy finding some of these brushes online.

Some of them can only be found in stores and some of them may only be found in certain areas.

That said, here are my top two favorites...

EcoTools: I actually found these online at I also found them at my local Ulta (not online), which is great because they normally have coupons for $5 off a $10 purchase in pretty much any magazine. Anyway, I have not personally tried these...but have heard the raves from other bloggers and celebs in magazines. The best thing about these is that they are environmentally friendly and free of animal products (they use synthetic hair). They would look adorable on a vanity and they also look like they cost a lot more than they actually do...this kit above is $10.99 at They also sell individual brushes, that all appear to be under $10.

Studio Basics: I've actually used this line in the past. Oddly enough, they are produced by the same company that makes the EcoTool line of brushes. I have not been able to find these online, but you can definitely find them at Ulta stores. They also produce pretty decent quality brushes for under $10...but use natural hair instead of synthetic.

Other brands that make pretty decent brushes are CoverGirl, L'Oreal, and Max Factor...but, good luck finding those in store. I found a CoverGirl blush brush online at From what I could tell, CG only makes a blush brush. The other brands are a little harder to find, but they seem to be of decent quality for less than $10.

I should add this before I go...when buying inexpensive brushes, you sometimes get what you pay for. If you are only paying $5 or $6 for a brush, don't be surprised to see some shedding here and there. I think that these inexpensive brushes would be great for travel, or for a second set of brushes (maybe to keep at work for quick touch-ups).

photo courtesy of

Update: I almost forgot to add Essence of Beauty brushes from CVS. I have heard stories of their larger brushes shedding a good amount, but haven't heard anything about their eyeshadow brushes...which I love btw. They are insanely inexpensive and go on sale quite often. Check them out next time you are there.


Related Posts with Thumbnails