Tuesday, May 20, 2008

primers take 1 - laura mercier

For the last few months I have been trying out several primers. Well, three to be exact.

I think today I will talk about the first one I bought, Laura Mericer's Oil Free Foundation Primer ($30).

According to lauramercier.com, the primer is a "lightweight, creamy gel - used prior to foundation - that acts as an invisible barrier between skin and makeup, it is specifically created for oily, sensitive and acne-prone skin types"

And here are a couple more facts from the website that I did not know...
the primer contains high water content and addresses surface dehydration around active blemishes and has oil controlling ingredients ensure long-wear and flawless application. And vitamins A, C, & E act as antioxidants & protect the skin from harmful, aging effects of the environment.

And this final one, I never would have thought of in a million years, but now I'm curious so I will probably try it out this week...cooling the primer in the refrigerator is refreshing for the skin & reduces puffiness. Really?!

Here's my take on the primer, the first week I used it under my foundation and I absolutely hated it. It was really heavy - more like sunscreen than a thin layer to hold my foundation (and it smells a little like sunscreen as well). And then I realized I was using waayyy too much, I mean way too much. Once I cut back the amount I applied, I noticed a drastic improvement. However, it still felt a little heavy after I applied my moisturizer and foundation. But it did keep the oiliness away longer.

It does help keep the makeup looking fresher longer. I recently went to a wedding that lasted most of the day and was out on the deck of a boat for a portion of it and my makeup still looked pretty good when we got home late that evening.

If I hadn't discovered the other 2 primers that I will discuss next week, I would probably be still using this one on a regular basis. And it looks like I will be trying it again after I go stick it in the fridge tonight to test out the whole reducing puffiness and refreshing on the skin comment.

I checked out the reviews on totalbeauty.com for this product (and there were only 2 but there were a ton on the regular foundation primer which is really similar except for not being oil-free). All the reviews seem to be pretty mixed. I always check the reviews there when I'm on the fence about a product. I will probably try it again later in the year when the weather gets colder and you need heavier products, it might work better since it's heavier than the other 2.

Next week....primer take 2

Christine
photo courtsey of lauramercier.com

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails