Tuesday, July 15, 2008

raw minerals

All because I tried Bare Escentuals about 7 months ago and then eventually bought a kit, Jenn deemed me the resident mineral makeup expert and proceeded to give me anything mineral related. Who knew some many companies made mineral makeup?!

At some point in the mineral whirlwind Raw Minerals made it's way to me. I have tried it numerous times over the last few months. As far as mineral makeup goes, this is a great one. I have the active Active Mineral Foundation, Active Veil, and Mineral Glow.

All 3 products contain:

  • ActivSilk, which is a powder that absorbs skin oil and helps to reduce the sign of wrinkles.
  • Soybean Extract, which helps with the appearance of deep wrinkles, balance skin color, and skin texture.
  • Natural Corn Extract, that helps stimulate cell renewal to help even out the complexion and enhance skin's glow and energizes the skin.
  • VitaFirm Complex which has high-performance botanical peptides that help firm and reduce moisture loss in skin.
A note on the Active Veil ($25) pictured over there on the right, you can also use this after moisturizer and before foundation as a primer and then again at the end to set everything. The active veil also has an SPF 18, so you can also apply it to the neck and chest area for a little extra sun protection. I love the Active Veil. On those days when I don't feel like putting all of my normal makeup on, I put just this on and I feel great.

The Active Mineral Foundation ($30) pictured on the left, has 4 different shades to try. I thought it went on really well. Very smooth and didn't look like I had powder all over my face. I did use a primer before I put anything on and I have found that helps the makeup stick around all day. I also go back over any imperfections with the concealer brush ($20) and little bit of the foundation and it works really well as a concealer. I have a broken capillary under one eye and you would never know it when I use this makeup, same goes for any under eye circles.

The Mineral Glow ($25) pictured on the right, complements all skin tones and skin types. And is applied just like you would bronzer. And a helpful hint from Christine...a little, teeny, weeny bit goes a long, long, long way. Seriously.

And the best thing about Raw Minerals....their brushes. I love them. I find myself using their Foundation Brush even when I use other mineral makeup. They fit right in with my Bobbi Brown brushes. AND they are eco-friendly.

If you are looking for a mineral makeup to try I would consider buying this one. For more information or to purchase them for yourself, please visit rawbeauty.com. Okay, I think that is about all I can say for Raw Minerals, at least for now. I have a few other products for them, but I will save them for another day.

photos courtesy of rawbeauty.com
proud members of total beauty and the bbn networks
Spas of America


hair dye colors said...

Thanks for reviewing these beauty products. I have been seeking for natural options but unsure to decide until find this.

shinystar said...

i use bare escentuals and i really like it... how does raw minerals compare to that line?

Christine said...

I use bare escentuals as well. The 2 brands are really similar - down to packaging.
The raw minerals has a higher spf in the veil and and all the ingredients I listed in the posting. And bare escentuals has a spf 15.
With that being said, bare escentuals has way more options with everything from bronzers to brushes. It's just nice to know there are other options out there if you want to stick with mineral makeup but change it up a little.

LeeAnn P. said...

I have been seriously toying with the idea of going "natural" but have been really worried about coverage. I'm probably going to take the plunge based on your review(I have a broken capillary on the side of my nose.
Thanks for a thorough, thoughtful review!

Erin said...

I used both brands, BareEscentuals and RAW, and I prefer Bare Escentuals because they are:

1) Straight forward in their advertisment. RAW claims and implies that their products are better than Bare Escentuals, but both contain talc and bismuth (Bismuth is a by-product of lead and iron refining process used mainly as a filler in cosmetics) and both are sensitive skin irritants.

2) As Christine said, Bare Escentuals have wider product range and you can actually RETURN the product after the trial period in their boutiques, Sephora, and Ulta; whereas RAW's return policy is a gimmick and a hassle. It took RAW products 3 weeks to arrive. The invoice says 60 days free trial from the day mailed and the phone rep says 60 days of tracking date. The only date in writing is my invoice and you must call them to retrieve "RMA number" and you have 2 weeks to mail in once the RMA number is issued; hence gimmick/hassle.

3) You get more from your Bare Escentuals starter kit (2 foundation; 1 veil; 2 blush (glee and warmth) and their 3 piece brush set) Bare Escentuals concealer brush is perhaps one of the best. In contrast, RAW has only 1 blush color and their brush set is terrible. The retractable brush makes a 'rickety-rack' noise when you use (hint hint: CHEAP!). And their concealer brush smears concealer rather than apply. RAW's starter set is $30 more expensive than Bare's starter set!!!

Erin said...

A good veil to buy is from www.coastalscents.com. Their vel does not contain talc but rather kaolin clay which is a naturally mined mineral. I recently learned of this company from a youtube-er Koren (enkore makeup) and I like their low priced and natural product a lot. Still it's nice to be able to browse through Bare Escentuals products in Sephora.

Anonymous said...

Blah blah blah raw minerals blah blah. Blah.

Related Posts with Thumbnails