Thursday, October 2, 2008

5 minutes, 5 questions with jason backe

After interviewing Jason Backe (Clairol's Color Director, Celebrity Colorist, President and CEO, ted gibson), we are pretty sure we would like to be BFFs with him. Enjoy our latest installment of 5 minutes, 5 questions.....

What's the great way to update your hair color for fall?

When it comes to a color change for fall (which, BTW I am a firm believer in - your hair color is one of the ONLY things about yourself you can change on a whim – so WHY NOT???) I always think of three things – richer, warmer, deeper.

Clairol has a favorite product of mine – the Natural Instincts Golden Shimmer Collection. It comes in four shades and is perfect for those faded summer blondes or light to medium brunettes to the do the trick for fall. It’s like magic – not only will it give you richer, warmer and deeper color, but it is loaded with vitamins A & E and antioxidants – it actually makes your hair look healthier and shine more. Love love love.

Can you give our readers some tips on how to choose their most flattering hair colors at home?

Let’s be honest. When you color your hair at home the most difficult decision is making the shade selection. The first rule is this: Trust your gut - If you feel pretty you are pretty! We all have a good idea of what looks good on us and what doesn’t. Trust that knowledge about yourself and use it as a guide when choosing your shade. Second rule: follow the two level rule. If you stay within two levels lighter or two levels darker than your natural (or starting) color you will get a gorgeous, salon perfect result at home. Third rule: Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and tools.

Help...I've colored my hair at home and it's really darker than I wanted. What can I do to fix it?

Sister you are not alone! This is a concern I hear about all the time. One simple step you can try is to simply shampoo. If you used a semi-permanent color, and sometimes even with permanent color, just by shampooing it a few times the color will fade enough to make you happy. After you are finished you may need to gloss over your hair with a semi-permanent product (make sure to choose a lighter shade than the first one you hated) – if too many red or orange tones are exposed, Natural Instincts’ Brass Free line is AMAZING!

If that didn’t do the trick, try calling a resource like 1-800-Clairol or your local salon to chat with expert color consultants about the best course of corrective color.

How often should I wash my hair if it's color treated?

Depending on the texture of your hair, you probably should only shampoo every other day at the most. I have clients who come to the salon who only shampoo once a week and because of it have incredible hair. When you do shampoo make sure you are using a color protecting shampoo and conditioner like Pantene Pro-V Color Revival or ted gibson Individual Color.

What's the best piece of beauty advice that you've ever received?

Believe it or not – to get enough sleep. Sleep is the way our bodies rest, renew and repair. When we are well rested we feel pretty, when we feel pretty we are pretty.

Love him! Thank you to Jason for taking time out of his busy day to answer our questions. For more information on the Ted Gibson Salon, you can check out

If I lived in New York that salon would know me on a first name basis.

And for more information on Clairol, please visit

With love (always),
Jennifer and Christine
proud members of total beauty and the bbn networks


Kate said...

I LOVE Jason. I'm one of the lucky girls who gets her color done by him. He is a GENIUS. He's taken me red, blonde and brunette and each and every time, it's looked like the color I was born with. I get compliments galore, thanks to his artfulness and talent. Thank you for posting this fab interview with the greatest colorist in the U.S. of A.!

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to have Jason color my hair on Nov 21. 08. What a great job. Other people at the salon thought it was my natural red color. He was sooo sooo funny and willing to give advice on how to maintain at home with out salon help. Such a fab guy !

Semi Permanent Make Up said...

I appreciate it very much, at least I know from it someone is reading the contents I have here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails