Melissa Walsh is just fabulous really.
We want to literally hang out with her everyday and discuss makeup and fashion, braid our hair, and watch the latest episode of Stylista.
Or maybe that's just us.
Anyway, we have a feeling that after you read her interview...you're going to want to clear out your calender too.
Read on darlings.
1. What makeup trends are you loving for fall and winter?
My trends for this Fall and Winter are creamy skin that is semi matte.
Normally people go for a full matte look during the winter but I think a little bit of a glow is good anytime!
The Luminizing Moisture Tint by Jouer is great. It gives a lovely sheen, provides enough coverage, and has the all important SPF 20 which is essential even in Winter!
Put a light dusting of powder over it and you still have a glow but one that isn't shiny.
For eyes I like a neutral soft matte eye (grey or brown - Urban Decay has a great matte selection for this) with a flash of shimmering color along the top lashline - you could go for amethyst, emerald or sapphire for a little bit of subtle drama or if you want to still keep within the neutral theme a shimmering taupe or gunmetal.
Cheeks should be kept simple with a sheer wash of color in pink (Catalina blush by Cargo is a particular favorite) or nude depending on how much color you prefer.
Lips should be a stain - sheer berry would complement the look perfectly with a touch of balm to stop them from getting dry.
2. What are your top 5 can't-do-without beauty essentials?
1. Alpha Derma CE moisturizer by Janson Beckett - the most unbelievable moisturizer I've EVER come across. It literally smoothes out fine lines before your eyes and creates a great base for foundation.
2. Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup - The smoothest, most flawless base that still looks like skin. I use this on all my clients and myself!
3. Fresh Firebird Mascara - gives the kind of lashes I love! Very dark, long and fluffy and no clogs.
4. Smashbox Soft Lights - is a shimmering powder with a multitude of uses. I use it to highlight cheeks and brow bones, all over for glow, as a blusher and a shimmer on eyelids.
5. Freeze 24/7 Lip Plumper - this actually works! I've tried every lip plumper known to man and this does what it says. It gives a plump, shiny mouth with your own shade of rosy glow.
melissa's top 5 by beauty in real life
3. Can you give us some quick tips to emphasize our eyes?
This is my really quick secret to define eyes: Take Laura Mercier's Smoky Eyeliner Brush and dip just the tip into matte black or matte dark brown eyeshadow, then close the eye that you are working on and wiggle it into the lashline, back and forth across the whole line. When you open your eye smudge the excess with a cotton swab or remove it with a swab dipped in concealer for a subtler look, add mascara and voila! Instant definition! I've timed myself and I can do it in under 2 minutes!
4. What are some of your ideas for beauty on the cheap?
First of all don't be afraid to shop in drugstores! They have some great products that have multi-uses and are very cost effective.
I love Bio Oil - you can use it as a bath oil, on your face as a boost if it's dry and my particular favorite, on your legs and arms for a nice sheen for nights out. It's reasonably priced and a little goes a long way.
Cornsilk is a great inexpensive product - it's a loose powder that suits every skin tone, keeps shine at bay and the matte version even gives some coverage.
I also love Covergirl Line Exact - if I buy something more than once it means it's really good! It gives a solid deep line, that stays put and the shape of the pen makes it very easy to apply.
Another tip is to get a creamy pink, peach or berry shade lipstick that you can use as a cream blush, a lipstain if you blot it or as a lipstick of course!
Most of the mascaras from brands like Revlon and L'Oreal are good too, just pick the formula for the effect you desire i.e. volume, length or curl - some have all three!
5. What's the best piece of beauty advice you've ever received?
Don't sleep in your makeup! Keep makeup removing wipes next to your bed for those nights when you are just too tired to wash your face, and a smile makes everyone attractive!
See what we mean?
If you'd like to find out a little more about her or see some of her work, head on over to beautyandphoto.com.
Jennifer and Christine
proud members of total beauty and the bbn networks
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Melissa Walsh is just fabulous really.