Thursday, November 27, 2008

a typical morning with christine

I have to admit my "typical morning" routine changes frequently, but as soon as I find something that works I stick with it until I either find something even better or run out of whatever miracle I have found.

For the past 4 weeks the stars have been aligned I have finally found my perfect morning routine... as far as skincare goes. And I have decided to share it with you...after all, Thanksgiving is all about sharing what we are thankful for.

I start my morning off with Dermalogica's Ultra Calming Cleanser. This cleanser is perfect for my sensitive skin. It's gentle enough to use on your eyes to remove makeup and can also be tissued off if you are too sensitive to use water. It protects and soothes skin sensitized by pollution, temperature extremes, irritating cosmetic products, harsh detergents, chemical exposure, stress, poor diet or hormonal factors. Also contains Lavender, Echinacea and Raspberry extracts for their anti-inflammatory, calming and healing properties. Jenn and I both got face mapped by Dermalogica when we were at Fashion Week. I highly recommend having this done before purchasing their products so you can get what is right for you.


After the washing of the face, I apply Your Best Face Defend, which is for oil control. You apply this before anything else and let it dry. I stay oil-free all day...and I mean ALL day. It does a good job of absorbing excess oil throughout the day and your skin will look balanced and natural. An added benefit to the oil absorbers in Defend, is that they diffuse light and soften the look of fine lines. I absolutely love this stuff and I will be really sad when I run out of it because it will set me back $120 and to be completely honest, I rather spend $120 on clothes or shoes than skincare. But believe me when I say it is my life's mission right now to find a cheaper product that produces the same results.

Next up is my Sonya Dakar Pore Minimizer ($48). I put a light layer of this on just to minimize the bigger pores I have in certain sections of my face. This is part of the Clarifying Collection from Sonya Dakar and I use the whole collection but the other 2 components I use at night and that is for another day. It is actually very similar to the above mentioned YBF Defend. And I don't feel the need to use this every day but when I need a little extra help this is where I turn to.


This leads to my moisturizer. Here's where I change things up based on what my skin is doing that particular day. My day-to-day moisturizer when the weather is normal and all is balanced, I use Dermalogica's Barrier Repair.

It helps to soothe and help repair damage caused by environmental aggressions. Formulated with Dermalogica's exclusive Anti-Ozonate Complex to protect skin from reactive ozone. Oil of Evening Primrose and emollient silicones provide a velvety feel, while strengthening the skin's natural lipid barrier to resist future damage. Shea Butter, Vitamin C and Bisabolol protect skin from dehydration, free radicals and inflammation.

This is a water-less moisturizer that looks and feels more like a primer...it reminds me of the Smashbox primer in looks and texture. I really like this and can see my self purchasing this again. I have actually stopped using primer and my face looks and feels so soft and smooth and my makeup stays all day.

Now, when the weather is colder and my skin starts to feel like it's cracking in a million different pieces I reach for Clinique's new Comfort on Call, which is ideal for dry, cracked, easily irritated skins and those bothered by wind and extreme cold. Appropriate for people with eczema or sensitive skin.

I have been putting on the Barrier Repair and then after is sets in, wherever I still feel the cracking feeling I apply this. And a brief note, this cream is thick, I mean take the lid off and toss it around the room and nothing will come out thick. So, a little goes a long way. I have been using any excess on my hands and cuticles. I have been reaching for this a lot lately since it has been so ridiculously cold outside and it barely looks like I have used anything.


Finally, the eye cream. Before it was cold I was using Clinique's All About Eyes. Now that it is painfully cold out, I have been using Clinique's All About Eyes Rich, it provides a little extra oomph to the under eye area. Once the weather reverts back in the spring I will probably go back to the regular All About Eyes.

That's it! I never in a million years thought I would be using so many products, I tend to take the less is more approach when it comes to most things, but if it works, it works. Next up, my typical makeup and night-time routines!


Christine
proud members of total beauty and the bbn networks

5 Comments:

happy said...

Hi Christine

I live in Winnipeg and when it's really windy out, I break out in hives and they don't subside 'til I'm indoors for a good 15 mins. I was wondering if you would recommend Clinique's Comfort on Call? I've tried using richer moisturizers and still get the hives. I don't know what to do anymore and it's embarassing being out with all those hives. They cover my whole face so it looks like I have a bad break out.

Jen Hill said...

I was just sampling Dermalogica's Barrier Repair today at Ulta, and it reminded me a lot of a primer too!

Thanks for all the wonderful reviews on these skincare products!

Anonymous said...

For Happy,
You need to treat the allergic reaction that is causing the hives. Try a Zyrtec once daily for a few months to calm down your allergic responses. This is something that you should see a dermatologist about; it's not a cosmetics problem.

Jennifer said...

I have to agree with anonymous... but if you haven't already, you might want to check with your derm first to see what the issue is.

While I'm not Christine, I can say that she has pretty sensitive skin (though she's never complained of hives) and this seemed to work well for her.

HTH!

xoxo
Jennifer
co-editor
beauty in real life

Christine said...

to happy, i can relate to your situation. i actually get hives when i get overheated...if i even make my shower to warm i will have them before i'm done in there. i got them really easily when i was pregnant since your body temp rises, the slightest thing would set me off. one time when i was only 3 or 4 months along i got them so badly just from the sun hitting my legs while i was in the car. the zyrtec or clairitin really only helps after the fact. i would say to try this but to either see if you can score a sample of it either from a clinique counter or from sephora or ulta. and if for some reason you can't get a sample i purchase it somewhere that has an awesome return policy (ie nordstrom or sephora). i hope this can help you out!!

christine
beauty in real life

Related Posts with Thumbnails